This Grilled Buffalo Chicken has all the flavor of your favorite chicken wings and is ideal for cooking outside or on a stovetop grill pan. You're going to adore this simple and adaptable chicken meal.
Buffalo sauce is acidic, spicy, and incredibly addicting. It goes great with chicken, and you could find yourself desiring its zesty flavor. Buffalo Chicken Wings are a popular meal, but they are time-consuming to prepare and messy to consume.
In this recipe, I used my own Homemade Buffalo Sauce. It is so easy to make, and requires only a few ingredients, definitely check it out!
Buffalo sauce and chicken are like two peas in a pod! Serve with ranch dressing, mayo sauce, or blue cheese dip!
what you'll need
This is just an overview of the ingredients needed to make this grilled buffalo chicken. For detailed ingredients and instructions, check the recipe card down below!
- chicken breast. Today we've chosen boneless, skinless chicken breast since it's so adaptable. You may use any type of chicken, including bone-in breasts, thighs, drumsticks, and wings. Simply adjust the cooking time as necessary.
- buffalo sauce. Instead of conventional hot sauce, look for sauces branded buffalo sauce. It's thicker and more flavorful than spicy sauce.
- salt and pepper. Seasoning food improves its flavor, and salt and pepper are commonly used in savory recipes.
- olive oil.
- garlic powder. One of the most important ingredients, it adds so much flavor and punch to the chicken.
- mayo sauce.
How to make Grilled Buffalo Chicken
Get the full ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
- Season both sides of the chicken with the dry ingredients.
- Combine 2 tablespoon of olive oil and the spicy sauce. Set aside a third of a cup and brush the remaining over the chicken breasts.
- Grill the chicken breasts for 5-7 minutes per side, basting with the sauce as it cooks. (I used an electric grill, that grills on both sides at the same time, so it might take longer depending on your setup)
- When the chicken is done, brush it with the leftover buffalo sauce with a clean brush.
- Allow a few minutes for the meat to rest before serving.
Note: To check for doneness, use a thermometer. Before eating, the chicken should be cooked to 165F/74C.
what goes with grilled buffalo chicken?
My favorite method to serve buffalo chicken breast is to pile on as many toppings as possible. This is where you can really have some fun with this recipe! Choose your favorite toppings and create your own version! A casual sandwich assembly line is also a terrific way to keep dinnertime simple.
If you're looking for some ideas, here are a few of our favorite grilled buffalo chicken toppings...
- Sandwich vegetables - Crispy lettuce and juicy tomatoes are fantastic in the summer! Prep our Everyday Slaw for added texture - the cilantro lime variety featured in the blog article is fantastic on a grilled buffalo chicken!
- Ranch yogurt with herbs. This simple, creamy sauce is one I like to prepare whenever I create a buffalo-inspired food! It's like a glammed-up ranch dressing, complete with fresh dill and chives. For a complete how-to, see the Recipe Notes section below.
- Other condiments that you enjoy, such as aioli or blue cheese dressing. For convenience, store-bought works excellently here!
MAKE IN ADVANCE AND STORE
To make ahead, season the chicken and set it in a dish or plastic bag, then top it with two-thirds of the buffalo sauce. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours before cooking.
Store leftover cooked chicken in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freeze - Follow the instructions below to freeze them; Allow the chicken to cool before shredding or slicing it.
- Place in an airtight container or freezer bag to cool.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Finish it up with chopped green onions, blue cheese, and homemade mayo sauce. Sliced jalapenos with ranch or blue cheese dressing are also delicious.
Make It Mild - For a milder amount of heat, use more butter and less buffalo sauce.
Make It Spicier - Leave out the butter for a spicier sauce. When seasoning the chicken, add a dash of cayenne pepper for more spice.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- The cooking time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to confirm that the chicken is fully done. When inserted, it should read 165°F.
- Allow 5 minutes for the chicken to rest before serving. This permits the fluids to disperse themselves.
More Easy Delicious Recipes:
Grilled Buffalo Chicken
- 4 large chicken breasts
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground chili
- Start by heating the grill to high heat.
- Combine the dry ingredients with salt, pepper, and olive oil and rub both sides of the chicken using a clean brush.
- Brush the chicken thoroughly with ½ cup buffalo sauce, covering both sides.
- Put the chicken in the fridge for about 5 minutes to let it absorb the flavors.
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill and cook until done. Flip the chicken breasts after 6 minutes. Continue grilling for another 6 minutes.
- After grilling, clean the brush and top the chicken with extra buffalo sauce. homemade mayo sauce, chopped green onion, and ranch or blue cheese dressing should accompany the chicken.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper before brushing it with the sauce.
- As you cook the meat and the sauce drops over the flames, keep an eye out for flare-ups.
- To avoid salmonella infection, use a clean brush to apply the conserved sauce after the meat has finished cooking.
- Remove any sauce that has come into contact with uncooked chicken.
- Cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 165F/74C at all times.
- The cooking time will vary according to the thickness of the chicken.
- Cooked chicken can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.