This Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas recipe is a really simple and quick meal that the whole family will enjoy. It can be prepared in the Instant Pot in only 20 minutes with just a few basic ingredients.
Looking for more easy and quick-to-make recipes? Check out my Quick & Easy Gouda Mac and Cheese, Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks, or my Instant Pot Chicken Tenders.
Chicken fajitas are one of those dishes that everyone in our family adores and is so simple to prepare. Moreover, after purchasing an Instant Pot last year, I rapidly developed an obsession with it and wanted to prepare every meal in it, including these fajitas.
Why you’ll love it
One of these “dump and go” dishes that IP lovers adore, the Instant Pot chicken fajitas are ideal for extremely hectic weeknights when you have so little time to spend in the kitchen.
The chicken fajitas that are prepared in the electric pressure cooker come out moist and flavorful. However, you should be aware that fajitas prepared in an Instant Pot are not the same as fajitas chargrilled on a grill.
What you’ll need to make instant pot chicken fajitas
This is an overview of the ingredients needed to make this instant pot chicken fajitas. The full list and detailed instructions are in the recipe card down below!
- Olive oil or different flavorless cooking oil, such as avocado or canola.
- Chicken – You might also try cooking these fajitas with boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Garlic that has been freshly minced is preferred, however canned minced garlic can be used in a hurry.
- Spices – Use a prepared blend or create your own fajita spice by combining paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder.
- Onion – The best alternatives to yellow onions in this situation are white onions, red onions, or shallots.
- Bell Peppers – Use any color combination of bell peppers, such as red, green, and yellow.
- Adding salt and pepper to taste
I almost never buy pre-made fajita seasoning since I believe that preparing my own at home is far healthier. I mean, there are so many strange chemical compounds that you can’t even pronounce on the back of the fajita seasoning container.
So why not use the spices you already have in your spice cabinet to make your own homemade fajita seasoning?
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Sprinkle taco seasoning and garlic over the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot along with 1 cup of chicken broth.
- On top of the chicken, scatter the thinly sliced bell peppers and onions. Make an effort to create a uniform layer.
- Put the lid on, lock it, and crank the valve so that it is sealed.
- Set for 7 minutes on Manual/High Pressure.
- Allow for a five-minute natural pressure release after the cooking process is finished. After that, quickly remove the pressure to let any steam that is still inside.
- To remove the bell peppers and onions, lift the lid. Put it inside a small plate.
- The chicken should be taken out, put on a chopping board, and shredded.
- Your Pressure Cooker Chicken Fajitas should be garnished with lime juice.
- Serve with tortillas and the toppings of your choosing. Enjoy!
How long do fajitas take to cook?
These chicken fajitas are a fantastic midweek supper option since they can be prepared from start to finish in just 30 minutes. After 8 minutes of high-pressure cooking, the pressure will naturally release. After that, you’ll need to put everything in the Instant Pot and sauté the vegetables.
Do you need to cut the chicken?
The chicken doesn’t need to be sliced in advance for this dish. The chicken breasts are added whole to the Instant Pot, cooked, and then shredded with a knife and fork.
What do chicken fajitas contain?
In conventional chicken fajitas, bell peppers and onions are fried together with the chicken, which is cooked in a mixture of Mexican-inspired spices. Everything is put together in corn or wheat tortillas with your choice of salsa and cheese as garnishes.
Storing and reheating
For four to five days, keep the chicken and vegetables in glass meal prep containers in the refrigerator. Reheat everything in the microwave or on the stovetop before serving your fajitas. Place the remaining toppings in an assembly on warm tortillas, then devour!
Yes! The shredded chicken can be kept frozen for up to three months. Reheat it in the microwave for two to three minutes after letting it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. For a wonderful, fresh flavor, you may also sauté the chicken in a skillet on the stove.
Another choice is to freeze the uncooked chicken with salsa and fajita seasoning. Put everything in a Ziplock bag that can be frozen for up to three months.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Quick & Easy Gouda Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken
- Carrot and Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tenders
You should take a look at these Air Fryer Frozen Broccoli, Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes, and Lemon Garlic Pasta. Super simple and easy recipes that won’t disappoint you!
Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Instant Pot
- 2 Chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper optional
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 3 tbsps fajitas spice mix
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together in the Instant Pot so that the chicken and peppers are thoroughly covered in the seasonings.
- Make sure the valve is in the sealing position before sealing the lid.
- Select a manual or pressure cooker, and set it on high for 6 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is through, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes before switching the valve to "VENTING" to let the last of the pressure out.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat and veggies from the pot after stirring the chicken and peppers (discarding the remaining liquid).
- Serve warm flour tortillas with hot chicken and vegetables and your choice of toppings. ENJOY.
- Although chicken breasts can be used instead, I think the thighs add more flavor and moisture to the dish.
- In order to prepare chicken fajitas that are easy to shred in the Instant Pot, you might want to cook the chicken for a few minutes longer than usual.
- Be aware that doing so may cause your vegetables to cook more thoroughly and get mushy and disintegrate.
- If you're fortunate enough to have any leftovers from this Instant Pot Chicken Fajita recipe, you may utilize it as a foundation for dinner preparation. Throughout the week, including in sandwiches and rice or pasta meals.
- For this Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas recipe, thinly sliced chicken breasts perform better than bigger pieces.
We really like this recipe. Never knew it was this easy to make. Will be trying without further delay!
glad you liked the recipe!
this is one flavorful, quick and easy chicken fajita recipe. It’s perfect on a busy weeknight.
so happy you liked this recipe!
Wow, what can’t the instant pot do??? I am so excited to make these fajitas tonight, thank you so much for the recipe 🙂
hey cathleen! glad you liked the recipe 😀
This instant pot version looks amazingly delicious. Thanks for sharing
glad you liked it !
making Chicken Fajitas in the IP was the easiest method ever. thanks for the recipe
that little device is doing wonders!