This super easy gouda mac and cheese recipe is super creamy, rich, and packed with flavors. It's super delicious, quick, and easy to make in just under 30 minutes!
Why you'll love it
There are several reasons why you'll love this Gouda Mac and Cheese recipe:
- Creamy and Smooth Texture: The combination of Gouda and cheddar cheese creates a luscious, velvety sauce that coats every bite of macaroni. The result is a mac and cheese dish with a luxuriously smooth texture that will melt in your mouth.
- Rich and Nutty Flavor: Gouda cheese adds a distinctive flavor to the dish. With its nutty undertones, it brings a unique depth of taste that sets it apart from traditional mac and cheese recipes. The combination of Gouda and cheddar cheeses provides a perfect balance of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds.
- Easy to Make: This recipe is designed to be simple and accessible, even for those who are not experienced in the kitchen. With just a few basic ingredients and straightforward steps, you can whip up a delicious mac and cheese in no time. It's a great option for busy weeknight dinners or when you're craving some comfort food without spending hours in the kitchen.
- Customizable Toppings: While the Gouda Mac and Cheese is delicious on its own, you can take it up a notch by adding your favorite toppings. Whether you prefer a crispy breadcrumb crust, some crispy bacon bits for added crunch, or a sprinkle of fresh parsley for a pop of color and freshness, you can personalize the dish to suit your taste.
- Crowd-Pleaser: Mac and cheese is a universally loved dish, and this Gouda version is no exception. Whether you're serving it to your family, friends, or guests at a gathering, it's bound to be a hit. The combination of creamy cheese and perfectly cooked macaroni is a comfort food that brings smiles to faces and leaves everyone satisfied.
One of the Best Gouda Mac and Cheese Ever!
Macaroni and cheese is a classic comfort food loved by many. There's something about the creamy, cheesy goodness that brings a smile to our faces. If you're a fan of this delightful dish, then you're in for a treat. In this article, we'll explore an easy and mouthwatering recipe for Gouda Mac and Cheese. With its rich flavor and smooth texture, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your household.
After several tests of different types of mac and cheese, I think that this time I nailed it! just cook the sauce separately from the pasta, it gives it more texture. Also a pro tip: use Evaporated Milk, it is thicker and more concentrated than regular one. This helps with the smoothness of the sauce.
Cheddar cheese: I always use regular cheddar cheese that is sold by weight and I shred it myself at home whenever I need to.
Gouda cheese: also for this one I buy a block of gouda and cut it into small portions then shred it whenever I need in the typical mac and cheese recipes, or cut it in slices for different burger recipes.
Whole milk: The tip for the best creaminess is to use powdered milk diluted in warm water, this method makes sure that you get the best thickness of the milk by not over-watering it.
Macaroni: elbow macaroni is a classic, but you can opt for different shapes if you want to.
Butter and flour: the base to make the Béchamel like sauce.
salt, pepper, and paprika: the two musketeers of seasonings and smoked paprika to sprinkle on top.
How to Make Gouda Mac and Cheese
Making this super creamy stovetop mac and cheese is all about the perfect cheese sauce. Here is how you can make the perfect Béchamel like sauce in no time:
- Cook the macaroni: Begin by cooking the elbow macaroni according to the instructions on the package. Cook it until it is al dente, which means it should still have a slight bite to it. Drain the cooked macaroni and set it aside.
- Prepare the cheese sauce: In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and whisk continuously for about 2 minutes to create a roux. This will thicken the sauce.
- Add the milk and seasonings: Slowly pour in the milk while whisking constantly to ensure a smooth sauce. Add the mustard powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens and starts to simmer.
- Add the cheese: Reduce the heat to low and gradually add the Gouda and cheddar cheese, stirring until melted and combined into a creamy sauce. Keep a small amount of cheese aside for topping, if desired. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Combine the sauce and macaroni: Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir until all the macaroni is coated evenly.
- Optional toppings and baking: For an extra layer of texture and flavor, you can sprinkle breadcrumbs on top of the mac and cheese. If you prefer, you can also add crispy bacon bits or chopped parsley. To finish, sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top.
- Broil or bake: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the mac and cheese in a baking dish and bake for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and slightly golden. Alternatively, you can broil it for a few minutes to achieve a golden crust on top.
- Serve and enjoy: Remove the dish from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Serve the Gouda Mac and Cheese while it's still hot, and savor each cheesy bite!
Can I use pre-shredded cheese?
Yes, you can use pre-shredded cheese for convenience in this Gouda Mac and Cheese recipe. While freshly grated cheese often melts more smoothly due to the absence of anti-caking agents found in pre-shredded cheese, using pre-shredded cheese should still yield tasty results.
Here are a few tips to ensure the best outcome when using pre-shredded cheese:
- Look for High-Quality Brands: Opt for high-quality pre-shredded cheese brands that use real cheese without added fillers or preservatives. This will ensure a better flavor and melt.
- Extra Creaminess: If you find that the pre-shredded cheese is not melting as smoothly as you'd like, you can enhance the creaminess of the sauce by adding a small amount of cream cheese or a dollop of sour cream. This can help achieve a smoother texture.
- Mix Different Cheeses: Consider combining different types of pre-shredded cheeses to add depth of flavor. For example, you can mix pre-shredded Gouda with pre-shredded cheddar or another favorite cheese blend.
Can I bake the Mac and Cheese?
Yes, you can absolutely bake the Gouda Mac and Cheese! Baking the mac and cheese adds a delightful golden crust on top while further melding the flavors together. Here's how you can bake it:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- After combining the cooked macaroni with the cheese sauce, transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish. Ensure the dish is large enough to hold the mac and cheese without overflowing.
- Optional: If you prefer, you can sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top of the mac and cheese for an extra crispy texture.
- If you've reserved some cheese for topping, sprinkle it over the mac and cheese as well.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and slightly golden on top.
- Once baked, remove the dish from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Baking the Gouda Mac and Cheese will create a beautiful crust and enhance the flavors even further. The result is a cheesy, comforting dish with a delightful contrast of textures. Enjoy!
You can, indeed! For hectic nights when there isn't time to cook, freezing Mac & Cheese is a terrific method to save leftovers. Learn our hints and techniques for reheating mac and cheese as well.
You can freeze any leftover mac and cheese, whether you use a box or a homemade version.
In an oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees, mac and cheese bakes for around 20 to 25 minutes. Give your macaroni and cheese a nice stir every 7 minutes.
This recipe is bulletproof and would go with pretty much anything!
You can make it a perfect meal with a side of Caesar salad.
Also, it can make a great dish with baked chicken tenders.
Leftovers and Storage
Leftover Gouda Mac and Cheese can be repurposed into delicious meals or snacks. Here are a few ideas for what to do with the leftovers:
- Reheat and Enjoy: Mac and cheese can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop for a quick and easy meal. Add a splash of milk or a little extra cheese to restore creaminess, if needed.
- Mac and Cheese Balls: Roll the leftover mac and cheese into small balls, dip them in beaten egg, coat them with breadcrumbs, and deep fry or bake them until golden brown. These crispy mac and cheese balls make fantastic appetizers or snacks.
- Mac and Cheese Grilled Sandwich: Spread butter on slices of bread and place a layer of mac and cheese between them. Grill the sandwich until the bread is toasted and the cheese inside is melted. This twist on a classic grilled cheese sandwich is a comforting treat.
- Mac and Cheese Casserole: Transform your leftovers into a hearty casserole. Add cooked vegetables such as broccoli or peas, and mix in some cooked bacon or shredded chicken for added flavor. Place the mixture in a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs and cheese, and bake until hot and bubbly.
- Mac and Cheese Pizza: Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on a pre-baked pizza crust and top it with leftover mac and cheese. Sprinkle some additional cheese on top and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Add your favorite pizza toppings for extra pizzazz.
- Mac and Cheese Stuffed Peppers: Cut the tops off bell peppers and remove the seeds. Fill them with leftover mac and cheese, top with cheese, and bake until the peppers are tender and the cheese is melted and golden.
- Mac and Cheese Soup: Warm up the mac and cheese leftovers with some vegetable or chicken broth to create a creamy and comforting soup. You can also add diced cooked vegetables or crispy bacon bits for added texture and flavor.
Remember to store any leftover mac and cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three to four days. Before consuming the leftovers, make sure to reheat them thoroughly to ensure they are piping hot. Enjoy your creative and delicious leftover creations!
Add a touch of Dijon mustard for an extra flavor boost. While the recipe already includes mustard powder, incorporating a teaspoon or two of Dijon mustard into the cheese sauce can intensify the flavor profile of the dish. The tangy and slightly spicy notes of Dijon mustard complement the richness of the Gouda cheese and add a subtle depth of taste to the mac and cheese. Be sure to whisk it into the sauce when adding the other seasonings.
This simple addition can take your Gouda Mac and Cheese to the next level, providing a delightful twist that will make it even more memorable. Enjoy the enhanced flavors!
If you have any questions about Gouda mac and cheese, feel free to comment down below! I hope you and your whole family will enjoy it!
More Easy Delicious Recipes:
- Instant Pot Navy Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup
- Air Fryer French Toast
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
Quick and Easy Gouda Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound uncooked macaroni
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups powdered milk diluted in 2 ½ cups of warm water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup freshly shredded gouda cheese
- In a large saucepan cook the pasta in salted water until al dente or according to the packaging instructions.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet melt the butter over medium-high heat. add in the all-purpose flour and keep stirring. cook until reaching brown color.
- Slowly add in the diluted powdered milk, then whisk in the remaining seasonings (salt and pepper). Cook until the sauce starts to thicken a little bit.
- Take the skillet off the heat and add the freshly shredded cheddar cheese and gouda. stir in until completely melted.
- Add in the cooked pasta and toss with a wooden spoon until completely covered with the cheese sauce.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle some smoked paprika on top.
- Serve immediately while hot!
- use freshly shredded cheese that you buy by block and shred by yourself! It will taste much better than the other ones.
- for the best results with the milk, use the powdered milk diluted in x3 of water. this step is very crucial to get the best creaminess of the mac and cheese.
- keep in a fridge in a closed container for up to 4 days.
- for reheating, add a little bit of warm milk and reheat in the oven.