This Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup recipe is A satisfying and nutritious dish that also happens to be vegan and gluten-free. Made in the instant pot! On chilly winter days or for a substantial meal on Meatless Monday, have a bowl (or two).
With the help of this colorful and filling Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup beat the wintertime blues. It will make you feel warm and cozy both inside and out because it is packed with delectable vegan ingredients including lentils, veggies, spices, and vegetable broth.
This simple red lentil soup is as flavorful as my Carrot and Lentil Soup but almost as full and delightful. You may thank the lemon juice and curry powder for this. Together, they truly make each bowl of soup cozy, cheery, and well-balanced.
Lentil soup is beautiful in its understatement. Although it isn't fancy, I would serve it to my closest friends (and I have!). With every bite, its comforting, hearty texture and recognizable, yet bright flavor will envelop you.
Why you'll love it
As a fan of the sun and warm weather, I find it difficult during this time of the year when the holiday glitz has subsided but summer still seems a long way off. Making foods that shine brightest when the cold is at its worst, though, is something that cheers me up all winter long.
Even though I'd eat Instant Pot lentil soup in any weather and on any night of the week, it tastes exceptionally filling when the wind is blowing and the frost is beginning to form in the corners of our windows. I am immediately taken to a place of coziness, sweetness, and deliciousness with each bite.
Ingredients to make Instant pot red lentil soup
This is just an overview of the ingredients needed to make this red lentil soup. For the full list and detailed instructions, be sure to check the recipe card down below!
Lentils. red lentils are what I used to make this pressure cooker lentil soup because I adore their mildly peppery flavor and the way they maintain their form and texture. Lentils are not only delicious but also a fantastic addition to the soup because of their high nutritional value. Healthy and rich in potassium, magnesium, iron, B vitamins and protein are lentil soup. Before including the lentils in the lentil soup, there is no need to soak them.
Vegetables. This soup is made even more substantial, nutritious, and flavorful by including traditional soup ingredients like leeks, onions, carrots, celery, and garlic.
Spices & Herbs. I combined black pepper, smoked paprika, and fresh thyme. The smoked paprika gives the lentil soup a very subtle smoky flavor and adds another layer of flavor, while the thyme gives it an earthy Italian flavor.
Tomatoes. The rescue is in the pantry essentials! The soup's liquid contains crushed tomatoes, and the flavor is increased by the fire-roasted tomatoes.
Veggie broth. Use veggie broth to keep this lentil soup vegetarian or vegan. If that's not a worry for you, you can prepare it with chicken broth without a problem.
Toppings. Both a sprinkle of fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese are highly advised. Additionally, dunking a crusty baguette is strongly advised!
How to cook Instant pot red lentil soup
Although some preliminary chopping is required for this simple lentil soup, after the ingredients have been prepared, it is completely hands-off, especially if you make it in an Instant Pot.
Although cooking lentils in an Instant Pot takes about the same length of time as cooking them on the stove, I think the texture of the Instant Pot lentils is better.
I like that during the entire cooking process of the soup, I don't need to check or stir the lentils.
- The onion must be cooked on the sauté setting in the Instant Pot until it is extremely tender.
- Along with the herbs and spices, add the carrots and celery.
- Stir in the garlic before adding the lentils. Add the broth and tomatoes.
- 15 minutes of HIGH pressure cooking and sealing is followed by a natural pressure release.
- Mix everything with an immersion blender to smooth the soup. Enjoy! Serve hot with your preferred toppings.
Tips and Tricks
- You can include some finely chopped potatoes, sweet potatoes, or squash to really make this soup meaty.
- Once the soup is done, you can add some fresh leafy greens, such as spinach.
- The soup would also be delicious with some meat in it. Add bacon or tempeh bacon to each bowl, or add ham or chicken broth straight into the soup.
- Place the lentils in a fine-mesh strainer and clean them with cold water before adding them to the soup.
- If you like a smoother texture, feel free to use an immersion blender to purée the soup.
Storing and reheating Instant pot lentil soup
- Store. Soup leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to five days if they are stored in an airtight container.
- Reheat. In a Dutch oven over low heat, gently reheat this soup until it is hot. This soup can also be warmed up in the microwave.
- Freeze. Soup can be frozen for up to three months in an airtight, freezer-safe container. Before reheating, let defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
More easy-to-make Instant pot recipes
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Chicken Tenders
Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 ½ cups red lentils
- ¾ cups carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup leeks diced
- 4 cups warm water or vegetable broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté after adding the onion, carrots, and celery.
- For three minutes, sauté while stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- For 30 more seconds, add the cumin, smoked paprika, and garlic.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, and red lentils.
- Stop using the sauté feature. then 12 minutes of manual pressure cooking. The Instant Pot will reach pressure in about 10 minutes, at which point the timer will start to count down.
- Quick-release the pressure by turning the venting knob to "vent" once the Instant Pot has finished cooking. This will let the steam out. Remove the lid after the steam has evaporated.
- Add the lemon juice after allowing it to slightly cool.
- STOVETOP RECIPE: Follow the directions through Step 3 in a sizable Dutch oven. The soup is heated to a boil, then covered and simmered. Stirring once or twice throughout cooking will ensure that the lentils are soft but not mushy, which should take about 25 minutes. Enjoy it hot.