This Instant Pot Navy Bean recipe is a wonderful comfort food. Use your Instant Pot to make the soup instead of letting it simmer all day. Because there are extra vegetables in every bite of this hearty soup recipe, families will love it! It’s a simple weekday meal when you combine it with the fiber in the beans.
Looking for more easy instant pot recipes? check out my Instant Pot Fried Rice, Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup, or this beautiful Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Making meals in one pot is ideal if you’re like me. This translates to simpler cooking instructions, less cleanup, and the ability to quickly put together a meal.
This Instant Pot soup recipe is delicious, nutritious, and good for you. Bowl after bowl will be fun for both kids and adults!
Why you’ll love this recipe
The flavor of this straightforward soup recipe doesn’t match the simplicity, so it works! When that’s your secret to share with others or keep to yourself, it actually tastes as if you cooked it for hours.
- The beans require no additional preparation before being cooked in the Instant Pot. Utilize dry beans and let the Instant Pot handle everything.
- It’s an excellent approach to preparing a filling supper for a large group of people.
Ingredients to make the Instant Pot Navy Soup
This is an overview of the ingredients needed to make this instant pot navy soup. For the full list and detailed instructions, be sure to check the recipe card down below!
Onion – I prefer to use sweet onions for this soup
Garlic – Minced garlic is preferred, but garlic powder also works well.
Carrots – Carrots should be cleaned, peeled, and diced.
Salt – Salt and black pepper, to taste.
Celery – Chopped celery should be added.
Navy Bean Soup Spice Mix
This is the spice mix I often use in my soups, and it is also a perfect one in the Navy bean soup.
- The subtle spiciness of cumin doesn’t overpower it. It provides that tiny bit of something.
- There is a very mild kick from the cayenne pepper. While it’s not overly hot, you can omit it if you’re serving it to children or anyone with sensitive stomachs. If you want a stronger spicy flavor, you can also add extra.
- If you’re considering adding salt, do it just toward the conclusion of the cooking process and taste it thoroughly first.
- smoked paprika.
- the garlic powder is a must in any soup in my opinion.
- Fresh ground black pepper.
How to make Instant pot navy bean soup
Make sure you have all the ingredients on your list before you begin. Making the recipe goes more smoothly when everything is prepared and ready.
- First, turn on the Instant Pot’s saute function and add the olive oil.
- Second step: Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Step 3: Add the chopped celery and carrots and continue to sauté for an additional two minutes.
- Then add the chicken broth and mix.
- Add the navy beans.
- Add salt and pepper after checking to see if extra water is required.
- Cover the Instant Pot and cook for 45 minutes at high pressure.
- Following the time period, wait for a naturally occurring release of pressure (or for at least 20 minutes).
- Open the lid, serve, and enjoy in step nine.
Store and Freeze
- Pour the totally cooled soup into freezer-safe plastic storage bags using a ladle. Seal after removing as much air as necessary. You may either split it up into multiple quart-sized bags for individual servings or put it all in one gallon-sized bag.
- Frozen solid, the bags should be laid flat in your freezer. In the extremely unlikely event that a bag might rupture or leak during freezing, I suggest placing them on a baking sheet with a rim for this duty.
- They can be stacked and stored in your freezer once they have frozen firm. Make sure to date-stamp the bags. For the best quality, I advise using the soup within 4 months of purchase.
Reheat in a pot on the stove or in the microwave. Just a little water can be added to the soup to achieve the proper consistency as it thickens while it sits.
More Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Tenders
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup
Instant Pot Navy Bean Soup
- 1 lb navy beans
- 1/2 cup green onion diced
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 fresh carrots
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- On sauté in a pressure cooker. When the pot is prepared, add the salt, onions, and garlic. Sauté until the onions are transparent and the garlic starts to become golden (about 3-5 minutes).
- It's optional to heat the broth and water to speed up cooking while the onions and garlic are sautéing.
- Pour in the broth and water, then whisk the hot liquid to wipe the Instant Pot's bottom clean.
- The pot should now contain the navy beans, carrots, and celery. Press the Cancel button, shut the pressure cooker's lid, and then lock the pressure lever (if needed). For dry, unsoaked navy beans, set the Instant Pot on high pressure for 45 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of letting the pressure in the pressure cooker naturally relax (without touching the pot), start the rapid release.
- Use a potato masher to thoroughly mash the beans for a creamier soup.
- Bean soup should be served hot and garnished with cheese, bacon bits, fried onions, green onions, or your preferred soup toppings.
- If you're concerned about sodium levels, you can use sodium-free broth or lessen the amount of salt you add.
- These Instant Pot Navy Beans can be stored as leftovers for up to three months in the freezer in a freezer-safe container or for seven days in the refrigerator.
- There is no need to soak the beans first.
- Navy beans can be substituted with white beans.
This bean soup turned out great! Thank you fotlr sharing this easy recipe.
I don’t really use navy beans all that much but they are great in this soup to add bulk and soak up the other flavors. So comforting.
glad u liked the recipe!
I love soup season for recipes just like this one! Turned out perfectly hearty and flavorful; easily, a new favorite recipe!
thank you sara! glad u liked the recipe!
Love how simple and flavorful this soup is. thanks for sharing.
This is one hearty, comforting and flavorful soup. can’t wait to dig into a big bowl of this.
Delicious comfort food and even more awesome to make it in my instant pot! Thank you!
love this instant pot version of navy bean soup. Thanks for sharing
this navy bean soup looks absolutely delicious and I have all of the ingredients in the house to make this! A comforting soup for a cold winter’s day. Thanks for another great recipe!
Great tasting beans. A big bowl of comfort food that’s warming and delicious.
Love how hearty this soup is! and it’s so flavorful. perfect for this time of year. thank you!
Love how easy this recipe is. Can’t wait to try it this weekend.thank you for the recipe!
I simply love all the spices in this – such a hearty and comforting soup!
The soup was super easy to make and delicious, definitely making it again. Thank YOu!
One of the easiest soups to make and one of the most delicious ones, too!
Instant Pot makes everything look so easy to make! definitely the recipe to try!
What a marvelous soup. Easy to make, hearty and comforting.
This is such a wonderfully hearty soup! And I feel so healthy eating it.