This super delicious Crispy Chicken Parmesan recipe with mozzarella cheese on top! crispy outside and juicy inside. The original chicken parm recipe is simplified for the oven and gives the same cheesy, crispy delight, but with a healthier twist and less mess.
Looking for more chicken recipes? Check my Grilled Buffalo Chicken, Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas, or these super easy Instant Pot Chicken Tenders.
Crispy Chicken Parmesan
One of my all-time favorite dishes is chicken parmesan. It's crunchy, cheesy, and utterly delectable! I've made many recipes based on this famous dish, but this one is the real deal.
This is the BEST Chicken Parmesan dish, and it should become your go-to. Breaded chicken breasts are sautéed in marinara sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese before being served over pasta.
This Chicken Parm is SO delicious (and filling). This recipe yields the ideal crispy chicken parmesan, precisely like I want it. This is the recipe to make if you want a good but simple Italian evening. It's perfect for a weeknight supper, but it's also elegant enough for a special event.
Anniversary? What about a dinner party? What about a date night? You'll be OK if you make this chicken recipe!
This is just an overview of the ingredients needed to make this recipe. The full list of the ingredients and the instructions are listed down below in the recipe card.
- Chicken breasts: The juicy chicken breasts are the star of the show. If you like, you can substitute thighs.
- Olive oil: Olive oil creates the crunchy crust that we all know and loves in chicken parmesan.
- Panko bread crumbs: Panko bread crumbs are the secret to crispy parmesan chicken. It's incredible.
- Parmesan Cheese: Because of the pungent parmesan cheese, every mouthful of this baked chicken is excellent.
- Seasonings: I always use onion powder and salt as seasonings. It's a tasty blend that complements the other elements. A pinch of black pepper is also recommended.
- Egg: An egg is required to make the breading adhere to the chicken breasts.
- Marinara sauce: Chicken parm isn't complete without some marinara sauce. It elevates this chicken to new heights.
- Mozzarella Cheese: We utilize shredded mozzarella at times and fresh mozzarella at others. Both options are excellent.
How To Make Crispy Chicken Parmesan
You won't believe it when I tell you that you can prepare chicken parmesan in under 30 minutes without ever frying it. It's true, and it'll be one of the most delicious recipes you've ever tried.
- Begin by preheating the oven and greasing a sheet pan.
- Divide the chicken breasts in half lengthwise. You should finish up with four pieces of chicken, which you should pound to the thickness you like.
- In a shallow dish, combine the panko, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Then, in a small bowl whisk the egg with garlic and parsley
- Dip each chicken piece in the egg, then in the bread crumbs. Place them on the baking pan after coating both sides completely.
- Bake the chicken for 15 minutes before turning it over. Top with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Bake for another 5-7 minutes. Broil for 2-3 minutes after the cheese has melted and the chicken is done, then serve hot. Enjoy!
Why Is It Called Chicken Parm If It’s Made With Mozzarella?
What the heck is going on? Isn't it supposed to be Chicken Mozzarelliana? The name is most likely derived from a location rather than the cheese itself. Although no one is certain, it is possible that this dish originated in Parma. So, while the word parmigiano means 'parmesan cheese' in Italian, the word parmigiana most likely means "from Parma." So the dish title could simply be "Chicken from Parma." People must have become confused about the a and the o over time.
Isn't that a really simple language lesson? You are now prepared to go worldwide! If all you do is order food, which is a distinct possibility in Italy. At least, that's all I'd want to do if I were there on vacation!
Tips For Freezing And Making Ahead
Both are correct! This recipe can be made ahead of time and freezes well if there are any leftovers.
- To make it ahead of time, simply prepare the chicken, bread it, and cook it in the skillet. Refrigerate the skillet after wrapping it in Plastic Wrap. When ready to serve, place it in the oven with the sauce and cheese to reheat and crisp up.
- Wrap the chicken breasts in Plastic Wrap and place them in an airtight container to freeze. Isn't it simple?
To keep. This recipe is best served the day it is cooked, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To warm up. Reheat leftover baked chicken Parmesan in a lightly oiled pan over medium heat.
What is the difference between chicken parmesan and chicken parmigiana
There are numerous modifications to Chicken Parmesan depending on the restaurant, such as adding toppings with ham or bacon or switching from mozzarella to cheddar (not our favorite), but they are all essentially the same.
Chicken Parmigiana (Pollo alla Parmigiana in Italian) is also called as a Parm, Parma, or Parmi in Australia.
Before chicken parmesan, there existed eggplant parmesan, which consisted of breaded and fried eggplant slices covered with sauce and parmesan cheese.
What to Serve with Chicken Parmesan
For a substantial meal, offer classic Chicken Parmesan with spaghetti. It's a traditional Italian dish, and the pasta is what makes it special. It's also wonderful to serve with some bread, whether it's a plain baguette or some homemade garlic bread.
If you don't feel like you need the pasta, you could alternatively steam or roast some broccoli to go with it.
Broccoli tastes great combined in with the chicken in the marinara...and I suppose it's a better alternative (in comparison to more carbs), but are we really concerned about that here?
Can you bake the chicken?
Yes! If you hate frying with oil, baking is your best option. The key to crispy baked chicken parmesan is to cook it at 450F (230C). Just keep in mind that panko will be crunchy but not as golden in color as finely ground bread crumbs.
More Delicious Recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Air Fryer Frozen Broccoli
- Canned Tuna Pasta
- Air Fryer Artichokes
Crispy Chicken Parmesan
- 2 large chicken breasts halved horizontally to make 4 fillets.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup oil for frying
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
for the sauce
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cup tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon balck pepper
for the topping
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- First of all, preheat your oven to 450 Fº
- Then, Dry the chicken breasts completely with a paper towel. One of the parts should be placed between two plastic sheets or in a sizable plastic bag and flattened to a consistent thickness of ½ inch. Repeat with the rest of the pieces. Salt and pepper the chicken breast liberally on both sides.
- Place the flour in a different, small basin. In a shallow medium bowl, whisk the eggs and the olive oil together. In a small bowl, mix panko and parmesan cheese.
- Chicken should be dipped in flour and any extra coating shook off. Then, coat completely with egg wash, being sure to drain any excess. Last but not least, lightly dredge in the breadcrumbs, pressing to coat evenly. With the remaining pieces, repeat the procedure.
- Fry the Chicken: In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat ½ cup of vegetable oil. Two pieces of chicken should be gently placed in the pan after the oil is shimmering. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the first side is golden brown and crispy.
- Flip the chicken after lowering the heat to medium. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the food is golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C). Place the chicken on a wire cooling rack positioned on top of a sheet pan after briefly draining the excess oil on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Clean the pan after discarding the extra oil. Then, add ½ cup of new vegetable oil and cook the remaining 2 pieces in the same manner.
- Garnish with freshly cut parsley just before serving.
This is the best chicken parm recipe, hands down! i will be making this over and over again!
Perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the insdie this is my kind of chicken parmesan. It's a perfect meal on a busy weeknight.
Sara Welch says
Enjoyed this for dinner last night and it did not disappoint! Quick, easy and delicious; definitely, a new family favorite meal!
I love parmesan chicken. It's one of my favourite comfort foods.
Shadi Hasanzade says
Absolutely delicious! This is one of our favorite weeknight dinners!
dina and bruce miller says
THIS WAS OUR FAVORITE NEW RECIPE! YUM FOR ALL THE DELICIOUSNESS FOR A WEEKNIGHT MEAL!