This super delicious Crispy Chicken Parmesan recipe with mozzarella cheese on top! crispy outside and juicy inside. The original chicken parm recipe is simplified for the oven and gives the same cheesy, crispy delight, but with a healthier twist and less mess.
Crispy Chicken Parmesan Pasta is the ultimate comfort food, marrying the delightful crunch of perfectly breaded chicken with the luscious richness of marinara sauce and a generous smothering of melted cheese. This Italian-American classic is a go-to favorite when you're yearning for a heartwarming and satisfying meal that combines all the best elements of comfort cuisine.
In this recipe, we'll guide you through the essential steps to create this mouthwatering masterpiece in your own kitchen. Get ready to indulge in the delightful flavors and textures that make Crispy Chicken Parmesan Pasta a beloved and timeless dish.
Anniversary? What about a dinner party? What about a date night? You'll be OK if you make this chicken recipe!
❓What's Chicken Parmesan Pasta?
Chicken Parmesan Pasta, often referred to as "Crispy Chicken Parmesan Pasta" or simply "Chicken Parmesan," is a popular Italian-American dish known for its delicious combination of crispy breaded chicken, flavorful marinara sauce, melted cheese, and pasta. It's a hearty and comforting meal that's beloved by many.
The dish's appeal lies in its harmonious blend of textures and flavors, from the satisfying crunch of the breaded chicken to the creamy, cheesy embrace of the pasta. Whether you're craving a soul-satisfying meal for a special occasion or a comforting weeknight dinner, Crispy Chicken Parmesan Pasta has you covered. In this culinary journey, we'll guide you through the step-by-step process of creating this Italian masterpiece right in your own kitchen. So, roll up your sleeves, and let's embark on a culinary adventure that promises a delightful marriage of flavors and textures.
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Perfectly Crispy Chicken: The chicken in this dish is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. The breading is seasoned with herbs and Parmesan cheese, giving it a flavorful and crunchy texture that's simply irresistible.
- Rich Tomato Sauce: The marinara sauce is a key component of this dish, and it's the epitome of rich, tangy, and savory tomato goodness. It coats the pasta and chicken beautifully, bringing the entire dish together.
- Cheese Galore: Cheese lovers rejoice! This recipe is packed with both mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. When baked, the cheese becomes gooey, bubbly, and golden brown, adding a delightful layer of creamy goodness to every bite.
- Versatile Pasta Choices: You can choose your favorite pasta for this recipe. Whether it's spaghetti, fettuccine, or penne, the pasta of your choice pairs wonderfully with the other elements of the dish.
- A Comforting, Hearty Meal: Crispy Chicken Parmesan Pasta is a quintessential comfort food. It's the kind of meal that warms your soul and satisfies your cravings, making it perfect for a cozy night in or a family gathering.
🧾 Ingredients Needed
This is just an overview of the ingredients needed to make this recipe. The full list of the ingredients and the instructions are listed below in the recipe card.
- Chicken Breasts: Boneless and skinless chicken breasts are the primary protein in this dish. They are typically pounded or butterflied to an even thickness and then breaded and fried until crispy.
- Marinara Sauce: Marinara sauce is a tomato-based sauce that's usually made with tomatoes, garlic, onions, and various herbs and spices. It provides the signature tangy and savory flavor to the dish.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Mozzarella cheese is used for its meltability. It becomes gooey and stringy when melted, adding a creamy and cheesy layer to the dish.
- Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese, often grated, contributes a bold and salty flavor. It's used to top the dish and forms a crispy, browned crust when baked.
- Pasta: Various types of pasta, such as spaghetti, fettuccine, or penne, are used as the carbohydrate component of the dish. The pasta is typically cooked to al dente and provides a base for the chicken and sauce.
- Breadcrumb Mixture: The breadcrumb mixture is made by combining breadcrumbs (often Italian-style) with herbs, spices, and Parmesan cheese. It is used to coat the chicken and create a crispy outer layer.
- Eggs: Beaten eggs are used to dip the chicken before coating it with the breadcrumb mixture. The eggs act as a binding agent, helping the breading stick to the chicken during frying.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is used to coat the chicken before dipping it in the beaten eggs. This step helps the breading adhere to the chicken.
See the recipe card below for precise ingredients and measurements.
👩🏻🍳 How to Make
You won't believe it when I tell you that you can prepare chicken parmesan in under 30 minutes without ever frying it. It's true, and it'll be one of the most delicious recipes you've ever tried.
*Be sure to check the recipe card down below for the full ingredients list & instructions!*
- Prepare and bread the chicken cutlets.
- Fry the breaded chicken until golden brown and cooked through.
- Cook the pasta until al dente and set it aside.
- Assemble the dish in a baking dish with marinara sauce, pasta, and cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh basil or parsley.
- Serve hot and enjoy your Crispy Chicken Parmesan Pasta!
🥣 How to Serve
Serving Chicken Parmesan Pasta is a delightful experience, and the presentation can make your dish even more appealing. Here's how to serve this classic Italian-American dish:
- Garnish: Sprinkle some freshly chopped herbs, such as basil or parsley, over the top of the dish. This adds a pop of color, freshness, and flavor to the presentation.
- Additional Cheese: For an extra touch, offer grated Parmesan cheese on the side. This allows your guests to add more cheese to their liking.
- Accompaniments: While Chicken Parmesan Pasta is a complete meal on its own, you can serve it with a side salad, garlic bread, or steamed vegetables to complement the flavors and add a bit of freshness.
💭 Recipe Pro Tips
- Properly Season and Tenderize the Chicken: Before breading the chicken, generously season it with salt and pepper. Seasoning the chicken is essential to infuse flavor. You can also marinate it in your favorite seasoning for extra taste.
- Control the Frying Temperature: When frying the breaded chicken, use a kitchen thermometer to monitor the oil temperature. The ideal frying temperature for crispy chicken is around 350°F (180°C).
- Layer Ingredients Thoughtfully: When assembling the dish, layer the components thoughtfully. Start with a thin layer of marinara sauce in the baking dish, followed by the pasta. Then, sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese. Place the crispy chicken on top, add more marinara sauce, and finish with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Finally, sprinkle grated Parmesan on the very top.
Why Is It Called Chicken Parm If It’s Made With Mozzarella?
What the heck is going on? Isn't it supposed to be Chicken Mozzarelliana? The name is most likely derived from a location rather than the cheese itself. Although no one is certain, it is possible that this dish originated in Parma. So, while the word parmigiano means 'parmesan cheese' in Italian, the word parmigiana most likely means "from Parma." So the dish title could simply be "Chicken from Parma." People must have become confused about the a and the o over time.
Isn't that an elementary language lesson? You are now prepared to go worldwide! If all you do is order food, which is a distinct possibility in Italy. At least, that's all I'd want to do if I were there on vacation!
❄️ Storage and Freezer Instructions
- Refrigeration: If you plan to consume the leftovers within a few days, you can store them in the refrigerator. First, allow the dish to cool to room temperature.
- Airtight Container: Transfer the Chicken Parmesan Pasta to an airtight container. Make sure the container is large enough to hold the remaining portions without overcrowding.
- Label and Date: It's a good practice to label the container with the date you stored it. This helps you keep track of freshness.
To freeze: Place the containers or bags in the freezer. Try to lay them flat initially to save space. Once the contents are frozen, you can rearrange them as needed.
To reheat: To thaw, transfer the frozen Chicken Parmesan Pasta to the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight. Reheat in the oven or microwave as needed.
Keep in mind that while freezing can preserve the dish, pasta may become slightly softer upon thawing and reheating. However, the flavors should remain intact, making it a convenient option for future meals.
What is the difference between chicken parmesan and chicken parmigiana
There are numerous modifications to Chicken Parmesan depending on the restaurant, such as adding toppings with ham or bacon or switching from mozzarella to cheddar (not our favorite), but they are all essentially the same.
Chicken Parmigiana (Pollo alla Parmigiana in Italian) is also called as a Parm, Parma, or Parmi in Australia.
Before chicken parmesan, there existed eggplant parmesan, which consisted of breaded and fried eggplant slices covered with sauce and parmesan cheese.
What to Serve with Chicken Parmesan
For a substantial meal, offer classic Chicken Parmesan with spaghetti. It's a traditional Italian dish, and the pasta is what makes it special. It's also wonderful to serve with some bread, whether it's a plain baguette or some homemade garlic bread.
If you don't feel like you need the pasta, you could alternatively steam or roast some broccoli to go with it.
Broccoli tastes great combined in with the chicken in the marinara...and I suppose it's a better alternative (in comparison to more carbs), but are we really concerned about that here?
Can you bake the chicken?
Yes! If you hate frying with oil, baking is your best option. The key to crispy baked chicken parmesan is to cook it at 450F (230C). Just keep in mind that panko will be crunchy but not as golden in color as finely ground bread crumbs.
🍝 More Pasta Recipes
If you tried this Crispy Chicken Parmesan Pasta or any other recipe on my website, please feel free to leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I love to hear your feedback!
Crispy Chicken Parmesan
- 2 large chicken breasts halved horizontally to make 4 fillets.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup oil for frying
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
for the sauce
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cup tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon balck pepper
for the topping
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- First of all, preheat your oven to 450 Fº
- Then, Dry the chicken breasts completely with a paper towel. One of the parts should be placed between two plastic sheets or in a sizable plastic bag and flattened to a consistent thickness of ½ inch. Repeat with the rest of the pieces. Salt and pepper the chicken breast liberally on both sides.
- Place the flour in a different, small basin. In a shallow medium bowl, whisk the eggs and the olive oil together. In a small bowl, mix panko and parmesan cheese.
- Chicken should be dipped in flour and any extra coating shook off. Then, coat completely with egg wash, being sure to drain any excess. Last but not least, lightly dredge in the breadcrumbs, pressing to coat evenly. With the remaining pieces, repeat the procedure.
- Fry the Chicken: In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat ½ cup of vegetable oil. Two pieces of chicken should be gently placed in the pan after the oil is shimmering. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the first side is golden brown and crispy.
- Flip the chicken after lowering the heat to medium. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the food is golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C). Place the chicken on a wire cooling rack positioned on top of a sheet pan after briefly draining the excess oil on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Clean the pan after discarding the extra oil. Then, add ½ cup of new vegetable oil and cook the remaining 2 pieces in the same manner.
- Garnish with freshly cut parsley just before serving.