This Greek Yogurt Marinated Chicken is so juicy and packed with flavor. It does require some time for marinating but is definitely worth the wait. The marinade is full of garlic, onion, lemon, and spices.
One of the most delicious methods in a chef's recipe book is using yogurt as a marinade. This quick chicken marinade is one of my favorite Greek Yogurt Recipes since it has such a rich and tangy flavor.
This easy yogurt marinade for chicken packs a lot of flavor in a small amount of time. Even inexperienced cooks may quickly prepare this traditional Middle Eastern dinner.
With just a few minutes of advance preparation, you can turn this Greek yogurt chicken recipe into a simple weeknight dinner. So go ahead and add it to your library of meal prep recipes.
Why You'll Love This Recipe?
- This chicken with Greek yogurt is exceptionally juicy, moist, and tender.
- The dry spices, particularly turmeric and paprika, give the chicken a lovely orange color. The addition of salt and pepper enhances the other flavors even more.
- This recipe is keto-friendly and low-fat.
- It's bursting with a juicy lemon and garlic taste.
- In this easy weekday supper recipe, you may use chicken breasts or chicken thighs!
- Grill, bake, or air fry the Greek yogurt-marinated chicken.
- It's ideal for meal prep because it stays in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Everyone will enjoy this chicken because it is ideal for a summer picnic.
- It is not necessary to pound the chicken. Simply place it in a bag, marinate for a few hours, and you'll be ready to cook in no time!
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Greek yogurt
- Yellow onion or shallots
- Apple cider vinegar
- Spices: Use smoked paprika instead of ordinary paprika. It has a significantly more pronounced flavor.
- Chicken thighs: Replacement for boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I love dark meat because it is juicy and tender.
This is just an overview of the ingredients needed to make this recipe. For the full list of ingredients and instructions check the recipe card down below!
How to Make Greek Yogurt Chicken
- Make the yogurt marinade
- Marinate the chicken thighs in the marinade
- Bake the chicken
Ensure that the zip-lock bag is securely locked.
- Step 1:
In a large food processor, combine all of the marinade ingredients.
- Step 2:
Pulse until the mixture is smooth.
- Step 3:
Place the chicken thighs in a zip-top bag and seal it. Distribute the marinade over the chicken.
- Step 4:
Seal the bag tightly and massage the chicken to coat it completely in the marinade. Marinate for two to twelve hours.
- Step 5:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Using parchment paper, line a baking sheet. Shake off any excess marinade from the chicken thighs and arrange them in a single layer.
- Step 6:
Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes. Using a broiler Broil for 2-3 minutes on high or until slightly browned.
Recipe Serving Suggestions
Here are a few ideas for how to serve this Greek chicken:
- Wrap: Stuff a pita with your favorite vegetables and tzatziki.
- Garnish: Fresh dill, parsley, lemon wedges, and feta cheese for garnish
- Bowl: Use the same toppings as the Greek salad and the same Easy Instant Pot Fried Rice as the base.
Expert Tips & Variations
- Make the marinade using a food processor. This ensures that all of the ingredients are combined.
- Use the marinade as a sauce: My healthy Greek chicken marinade is adaptable and savory enough to be used as a sauce. Just make sure to use a fresh marinade, not the marinade you used to soak the raw chicken.
- Discard any leftover chicken marinade: To avoid food-borne infections caused by raw poultry, discard any used marinade.
- Always use Fresh Garlic. When compared to powdered or granulated, fresh offers a considerably more robust flavor.
- Marinate the chicken meat for a minimum period of 2 hrs. During this time, the yogurt and aromatics tenderize and flavor the chicken. However, marinating it for longer than 12 hours is not recommended.
- Pound the chicken. I recommend pressing the chicken thighs to a consistent thickness before cooking. This ensures that they are evenly cooked throughout, resulting in perfectly cooked yogurt-marinated chicken.
- Cooking time may vary. The cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken. To determine when your chicken is done, use a digital thermometer. Simply place the thermometer into the chicken's thickest portion. When it reaches 165 F˚, it is safely cooked and ready to consume.
- Grilling. Grill these thighs on a grill pan on the stove or on an outdoor grill over medium-high heat. Before you begin, make sure to clean the grill grates. Grill the chicken for 6-8 minutes per side. Rest the chicken for 5 minutes on a clean cutting board or platter before serving.
- Let it rest. Allow your Greek chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing to preserve it as succulent and aromatic as possible. This resting period helps the chicken's juices to reabsorb and redistribute, ensuring that every bite is bursting with flavor.
When combined with a marinade, the lactic acid in yogurt tenderizes the meat without making it tough, as vinegar and citrus-based marinades do. Marinating chicken thighs in yogurt results in a luscious, melt-in-your-mouth feel.
Yes! Greek yogurt is excellent for baking and cooking. It adds fat, taste, and moisture in the same way that sour cream or buttermilk does.
I suggest marinating it for no more than 12 hours. After that, the chicken may become overly salty or mushy.
Yes. The acid in yogurt, like citrus juice or vinegar, tenderizes the chicken.
Greek chicken is chicken cooked with traditional Greek seasonings. The Greek marinade for chicken with yogurt features fresh herbs, yogurt, lemon, and olive oil as distinctive components.
Yes, I suggest it! Allowing the mixture to remain overnight guarantees that your chicken gets the taste of the marinade and tenderizes appropriately.
More Chicken Recipes
- The Best Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tenders
- The Best Chicken Mozzarella Pasta
- The Best Crispy Chicken Parmesan
- Super Creamy Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
If you try this Greek Yogurt Chicken Recipe, Please leave a star rating in the recipe card down below and/or comment! I definitely appreciate your feedback on my recipes. Follow me on Pinterest, and Instagram!
Greek Yogurt Chicken Recipe
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Small yellow onion
- 5 Cloves garlic
- ½ Lemon juice
- ⅓ cup Olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Chilli
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 pounds Chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- In a large food processor, combine all of the marinade ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- Fill a zip-top bag halfway with chicken thighs. Distribute the marinade over the chicken.
- Close the bag tightly and massage the chicken to coat it completely in the marinade. Marinate for 2- 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Using parchment paper, line a baking sheet.
- Shake off any excess marinade from the chicken thighs and arrange them in a single layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the oven. Broil for 8-10 minutes on high, or until slightly browned.