This Chicken Mozzarella Pasta recipe is the perfect weeknight dinner. It features one of the best homemade creamy pasta sauces! a homemade sun-dried tomato, shredded mozzarella cheese, and a mix of spices to kick things a little bit.
This mozzarella chicken pasta recipe just takes 30 minutes to prepare! The hint of creaminess in the marinara sauce elevates this simple dinner meal to new heights!
Sun-dried Tomato Pasta With Chicken
Sun-dried tomatoes are ripe tomatoes that have been specially prepared through a dehydration process using the sun's heat. These tomatoes are typically sliced and laid out in the sun to remove their moisture content, which results in a concentrated, chewy texture and an intensified flavor.
Sun-drying not only enhances the tomato's natural sweetness but also imparts a slightly smoky and tangy taste. These tomatoes can be used in various culinary applications, including salads, pasta dishes, pizzas, sandwiches, and dips, adding a rich and robust flavor to the preparations.
Additionally, sun-dried tomatoes are often preserved in oil to extend their shelf life and retain their distinct taste. They are a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine and are appreciated for their versatility and ability to enhance the overall taste profile of many dishes.
Sun-dried tomatoes and basil are used in this dish. Both ingredients are popular in Italy and throughout the Mediterranean.
The homemade sun-dried tomato sauce is the most apparent taste in this dish. The sauce is homemade, consisting of cream, shredded Mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomato, garlic, basil, and red pepper flakes.
This delectable creamy Mozzarella pasta sauce is then slathered over cooked chicken and penne pasta. There is enough sauce to coat each and every bite.
Chicken Mozzarella Pasta Recipe
I was exploring supper ideas on Pinterest the other day when I came across this incredible-looking meal and knew I had to prepare it that night. It all looked so good as it was coming together!
We're over the busy school weeknight stage, but I'm still looking for homemade supper options that don't require hours of preparation. This chicken pasta recipe is simple to make yet packed with flavor thanks to Italian herbs sun-dried tomato, and garlic.
This chicken pasta recipe requires only one pan (plus the pot used to cook the pasta). This meant I didn't have to do a lot of dishes after supper, which is always a bonus for a recipe!
The tangy sun-dried tomatoes, seasoned chicken, and creamy cheesy mozzarella sauce combine to make this the ideal weekday pasta dish.
Needless to say, the family was not let down. This recipe will be on our menu rotation on a regular basis.
This is an overview of the ingredients needed to make this recipe. for the full list and instructions see the recipe card below:
For this recipe. You'll need these ingredients:
- Chicken breasts
- Sun-dried tomato
- Half and half
- Mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
How To Make Chicken Mozzarella Pasta
- Sauté garlic and sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Take the sun-dried tomatoes out of the skillet.
- Season the chicken slices with salt, black pepper, and paprika.
- Cook the chicken in the skillet over high heat.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, Half-and-half, and shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to low heat and toss in the sun-dried tomato sauce until the mozzarella cheese melts.
- Season with oregano or basil, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.
- Add cooked pasta to the skillet and mix until thoroughly combined.
Storing Leftover Pasta
This pasta is best consumed within three days of being refrigerated.
- Make sure to season the dish lightly to bring out the flavors of the basil and sun-dried tomato.
- If you're using sun-dried tomatoes in oil (in a jar), make sure to drain them before using them. 2 tablespoons of the drained oil should be set aside for sautéing as directed.
Tips And Tricks:
- Use Sun-dried tomatoes without oil or sun-dried tomatoes in oil (in a jar). Note: If using sun-dried tomatoes in oil (in a jar), drain the sun-dried tomatoes before using them.
- Before cooking, sprinkle a tiny bit of paprika over the chicken to give a taste as well as color to the dish.
- Keep some pasta water aside because you will DEFINITELY need it to thin out the cream sauce.
- Feel free to increase the amount of basil, red pepper flakes, and paprika in this recipe. This will enhance the flavor of the sun-dried tomato sauce!
- Season the chicken mozzarella pasta with the appropriate amount of salt. This suggests you may need to add additional salt. The taste of basil and sun-dried tomatoes will be enhanced by the addition of salt.
Keep an eye on the heat and keep it on medium or low. The cream will separate if warmed over high heat.
How To Make It Gluten-Free
Use Gluten-free brown rice penne or any form of gluten-free short pasta. Use Gluten-free lentil penne or gluten-free quinoa pasta
Cook the gluten-free pasta according to the package directions. After that, drain and rinse with cold water to keep the gluten-free pasta from becoming mushy and sticking together.
Freezing And Reheating
Another thing I like about this recipe is how wonderfully the leftovers reheat, even from frozen! Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta should be stored as follows:
Refrigeration - Place the Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta in an airtight container with a lid and set aside for about 10 minutes to cool at room temperature. Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 days!
Freezing - To freeze, place serving amounts of the pasta in airtight containers in the refrigerator for about an hour. Then just place the containers in the freezer for up to 3 months!
To reheat, simply microwave until uniformly heated, stirring frequently. Enjoy with extra parmesan and crushed red pepper!
More Delicious Dinner Recipes
- Instant Pot Fried Rice
- Carrot and Celery Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken
- Quick & Easy Gouda Mac and Cheese
Chicken Mozzarella Pasta (Sun-Dried Tomatoes)
- 8 oz macaroni pasta or penne pasta
- 1 lb chicken breasts sliced into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 oz sun-dried tomatoes( without oil) sliced into small chunks
- 1 cup half and half (½ cup milk+ ½ cup heavy cream)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅓ cup pasta water
- Sauté garlic and sun-dried tomatoes (drained from oil) in 3 tablespoons olive oil in a big skillet for 1 minute on medium heat, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Remove the sun-dried tomatoes from the skillet while leaving the olive oil in place.
- Season both sides of the chicken tenders with salt and pepper, and spread the paprika evenly among them.
- Cook the sliced chicken for 1 minute on each side over high heat. Take the pan off the heat.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Save some of the cooked pasta water. drain the pasta.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes into the skillet with the chicken
- To prepare creamy pasta sauce, bring half-and-half and Mozzarella cheese to a slow boil in a skillet.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring regularly, until all of the cheese melts.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta into the skillet with the cream sauce. mix until well combined.
- Season with the spices( salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, dried oregano) and fresh parsley.
- Allow it to simmer for a few minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- If the creamy sauce is too thick, thin it out with roughly ⅓ cup of the reserved cooked pasta water in the skillet.
- Garnish with oregano or basil and red pepper flakes.
- What exactly is half-and-half? ½ cup milk + ½ cup heavy cream can be substituted for 1 cup half-and-half.
- If you're using sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil (in a jar), make sure to drain them before using them. 2 tablespoons of the drained olive oil should be set aside.
- Fresh Mozzarella should not be used. Fresh mozzarella is typically sold in the form of a large or tiny ball in a brine or water solution. Fresh mozzarella should not be shredded. Use pre-shredded Mozzarella cheese, which is available in bags.