These Air Fryer Artichokes make an easy and delectable vegetable side dish. Air frying artichokes takes less than 10 minutes, which is much quicker than steaming or boiling them. When you serve them with a delectable Garlic Aoili for dipping, they taste even better.
Looking for more Air Fryer Recipes? Check This Air Fryer Frozen Broccoli, Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes, or this Air Fryer French Toast!
Air Fryer Artichokes recipe
Artichokes were a fairly common item on my family’s supper table when I was growing up in California. I didn’t realize that folks from different regions of the country didn’t always eat artichokes until I was well into adulthood.
When my husband moved here from the east coast, he was introduced to artichokes along with my propensity for putting avocado on everything and my love of a green salad with homemade vinaigrette every night with dinner.
Except for the few instances when my mother got fancy with a pancetta-studded bread stuffing, my family always ate artichokes steamed with either melted butter or mayonnaise for dipping. One of my favorite air fryer dishes is these artichokes.
Ingredients To make Air Fryer Artichokes
The list of ingredients doesn’t get much simpler than this! For specific measurements, refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the article.
Artichokes: I prefer to cut artichokes in half so they cook in the air fryer more quickly.
Olive oil will aid in the seasonings’ adhesion.
Lemon: The artichoke doesn’t oxidize when lemon is present.
Salt and fresh black pepper is all you need for seasoning.
How to Cook Air Fryer Artichokes
These air fryer artichokes’ recipe and cooking instructions are both quite straightforward. These artichokes go with any meal, a straightforward but effective statement!
- Artichokes should be prepared by clipping the stems, if necessary, from the artichokes. Remove most of the stem, leaving the arithoke with about 1 inch of stem. Slice the artichoke’s top tip, and if necessary, use kitchen shears to remove the remaining stems.
- Slice in Half, then Rub with Lemon Juice: Cut each artichoke in half, then scoop out the fuzzy choke with a spoon. To avoid fading, immediately massage the entire artichoke with the lemon slices.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the artichoke before adding the oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add to Basket: Put the artichokes in the air fryer’s basket, sliced side down.
- Prepare food by setting the air fryer to 350°F. For 8 minutes, cook. After flipping the artichokes in the basket, heat for another two minutes.
- Serve: Add a splash of fresh lemon juice and your preferred dipping sauce.
How long to cook artichoke in the air fryer?
Artichoke season is March through June, so this is the greatest time of year to buy them since they’ll be in peak form, and more economical than when you buy them out of season.
Look for artichokes that are substantial for their size and have a rich green hue if you want to get the best ones. The leaves should tightly encircle the hole and be thick.
Depending on how you intend to serve the artichokes, you can pick either large or small ones. I prefer to select larger artichokes for these Air Fried Artichokes because you’ll get more meat for your effort. Tiny artichokes are preferable for stuffing or deep frying since they have more fragile leaves.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Artichoke
Artichokes are typically offered as an appetizer that can be shared before a meal.
You might choose to include air fryer artichokes with other items like olives, cured meats, and sliced cheese on a charcuterie board or in an appetizer spread.
Artichokes go well with Air Fryer Garlic Bread as a side dish.
Are Artichoke Hearts Poisonous?
There is a section of the artichoke that you shouldn’t eat even though it is not deadly or dangerous.
The fluffy, hairy, spiky portion in the middle of the artichoke known as the “choke” is so called because it can become lodged in your throat.
Before or just after cooking your artichokes, remove the choke and discard it. The remainder of the artichoke heart is excellent and edible.
It’s better to avoid attempting to consume the artichoke’s tough stem and outer leaves as well. Although they are not harmful, they are fibrous and woody and cannot be digested.
How do you eat artichokes?
Start by removing the outer leaves off a leaf, then dip the wide part of the leaf into your preferred sauce (our favorites are this Easy Garlic Dip or Blue Cheese Dip). A delicious alternative is alioli.
Pull the leaf through with your front teeth to get rid of the soft portion you coated in the sauce. Throw the rest away.
The artichoke heart, which is the most excellent component, will remain after all the leaves have been removed. We did not remove the fluff before cooking, therefore it will be present. Take a spoon, carefully slide it under the fluffy portion, and move it around until all of it is gone. Just grab the fluff with your fingers and pull it out.
How to Pick Out Artichokes
Learn how to choose a quality artichoke at the shop if you want to prepare artichokes in the air fryer successfully! Here are some pointers to assist you.
- The best-tasting artichokes will have deep green, tightly-packed leaves as their predominant color. It’s okay if the tips of them are brown in spots. As they are cooked, that will enhance the flavor.
- Artichokes are in season from when? Artichokes are at their prime in the spring and fall, so those are the best times to buy them.
- Squeeze them a little! It’s a touch too old if you press an artichoke and it feels squishy or spongy. A squeaky one is what you want.
More Easy Delicious Recipes:
- Instant Pot Navy Bean Soup
- Cinnamon Apple Pie
- Instant Pot Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Air Fryer Artichokes
- Air Fryer
- 3 Fresh Artichokes
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder optional
- Trim the stem ends and remove the bottom outer leaves from the artichokes to prepare them.
- Cut off the top 1/2 inch of the artichoke with a serrated knife, being careful to avoid the pointed tips of the leaves near the top/center.
- All of the outer leaves' pointy points should be removed using a pair of kitchen shears.
- Each artichoke should be cut in half. With a metal spoon, remove the hairy choke from the middle.
- Apply some lemon juice to the artichoke's sliced surfaces to stop browning.
- The artichoke halves should be liberally coated in olive oil. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the sliced side.
- Cut side down, put the artichoke halves in the air fryer basket, and cook for 4 minutes at 350°F. Cook for an additional 4 minutes after turning.
- Make the aioli while the artichokes are in the air fryer.
- Combine the mayonnaise, garlic, pepper, dill, paprika, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- After removing the artichokes from the air fryer, let them a few minutes to cool.
- Serve with the sauce while warm.
- The size and form of artichokes might vary. Due to this, they may require different amounts of seasoning and air-frying time. For medium ones, 12–15 minutes should be adequate. Cooking time must be increased if using large ones.
- I would choose 17 to 20 minutes, but I would monitor them. Because some of the salt will come off when cooking, I also prefer to season them liberally on both sides. Lemon juice should also be used liberally.
- Use only olive oil for the finest results (I used extra virgin olive oil).
- In this situation, more pepper is preferable to less. The artichokes do get a good flavor from it.
These look so good. I love cooking with artichokes, so I’m eager to try making them in my air fryer.
Anything in the air fryer is automatically better. I’ve never thought to try artichokes. genius!
Another use for my air fryer and one of my favorite foods. Would never have thought the air fryer would be so perfect for artichokes
Enjoyed this for dinner last night and it was a savory success! Quick, easy and delicious; definitely, a new favorite recipe!
Fantastic instructions! This is one of the best ways to make artichokes. Delicious!
you were right! It was a lot easier to air fry Artichokes than steaming or boiling them. it turned out perfectly for my salad!
I made these using another recipe a few months ago and they turned out so dry. I couldn’t even eat them. Thank goodness I tried again with your recipe. Thank you.
Oh wow, this looks so delicious. My family is going to devour it!
These look so beautiful! I can’t wait to try to make them for myself!
I had no idea you could make artichokes in the air fryer! THis recipe was so easy and they turned out perfectly, I’m never going back to my oven again!
I love how easy to make these artichokes were in my air fryer! They were delicious! Thank you for an awesome recipe!
My favourite snack ever! 10 our if 10 when served with garlic mayo!
What a great idea to cook artichokes in an air fryer, they look delicious. Looking forward to trying your recipe.
These were so wonderfully tender and delicious. I felt so fancy eating them, too. Haha. Beautiful appetizer!
I loved this recipe! it was super easy to make and a whole different way to cook artichokes for me!